Pumpkin kebabs are a great way of cooking pumpkin, especially over the Halloween period. This recipe for pumpkin kebabs uses bacon and pepper to make great tasting kebabs.
Getting everything ready
- Choose nice, firm pumpkin flesh and cut neatly into about 2cm dice. Place in a clean bowl and season slightly. Mix to ensure the seasoning is evenly coating each piece.
- Cut the pepper into half, deseed and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Peel and roughly crush the garlic cloves.
- Wash and dry the rosemary, sage leaves and sprigs of thyme.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C / Gas Mark 4.
- Trim an edge off the pitta bread to leave an envelope.
- Wash the lettuce leaves, dry well and finely shred. Place in a bowl.
- Place the rashers of bacon on to your board and remove any rind. Cut each rasher in half across the middle to give 16 smaller rashers.
- Place a piece of pumpkin on each rasher and roll up into a cube shape parcel.
- Take the skewers and push on a pumpkin and bacon cube, followed by a piece of red pepper. Continue until the skewers are full.
- Place the rosemary, thyme, sage and crushed garlic on a baking tray. Lay the kebabs on top of the herbs and drizzle a little olive oil over, and place in the pre-heated oven for about 20–25 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender and the bacon a little crispy. Turn from time to time to get an even colour.
- A few minutes before you remove the kebabs, place the pitta breads in the oven to warm through.
- Remove the pittas and kebabs from the oven. Put a small handful of shredded iceburg lettuce in each pitta then add two kebabs to each pitta. Drizzle over with a little sweet chilli sauce and serve.
Pumpkin kebabs – hints and tips
Cooking tips for main course recipes
Main course recipes come in all shapes and sizes to suit different tastes and appetites. Click here for some great suggestions for cooking tips for mains recipes.