Diced onion – all you need to know about how to dice an onion
The onion is possibly the most used vegetable in cooking. This cooking skill shows how to dice an onion to the size you require.
- Peel the onion, leaving the root intact.
- Cut the onion into two halves, slicing from stalk to root. Place the flat side down onto your board and place your left hand onto the onion (or right hand if you are left handed).
- Make a vertical cut from close to the root to the stalk end, cutting all the way through onion down to the board. The smaller you want your diced onion, the more cuts you will make.
- Next, very carefully cut the onion horizontally from the stalk end towards the root. Make sure you stop just before the root.
- For a medium dice, make this horizontal cut three times (one near the top, one in the middles and one towards the bottom).
- For a small dice, make four or more horizontal cuts.
- For large dice, just make one horizontal cut.
- Lastly, cut across the onion, working from the stalk end towards the root and you will have a neat pile of diced onion on your board.
Onions make you cry
There are many tips on ways to stop onions making you cry, but it is hard to find a fool-proof way of doing this. Whatever you try, don’t peel and chop them under cold running water – this can be rather dangerous. Saying all this, the flavour onion gives is worth shedding a few tears for!
Other cooking skills related to onions
Other cooking skills related to onions include:
Diced onion recipes
Now you have seen all there is about how to prepare diced onion, why not try some of these great tasting recipes using diced onion?