Mushroom duxelle – for those that love mushrooms!
Mushroom duxelle is a great mushroom stuffing recipe to try at home. This mushroom duxelle is easy to make and only takes a few minutes. Click here to download the recipe for mushroom duxelle.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 10 mins
- 60g mushrooms
- 30g shallots
- Vegetable oil
- Sea salt / pepper
Mise en place
- Wipe mushrooms with a clean damp cloth, remove any stalks and carefully peel away the thin skin (peelings). Keep these peelings, which are very good for stocks.
- Cut the mushrooms into very small dice. Place into a small, clean bowl.
- Peel the shallots and cut into very small dice. Place into a small, clean bowl.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots.
- Saute gently for a few minutes, stirring from time to time, until the oil has been absorbed and the mixture is quite dry; it will not take many minutes.
- Season to taste.
- The mushroom duxelle is ready to use.
Mushroom duxelle – interesting facts
Check out these interesting facts about the use of mushroom duxelle in cooking (Wikipedia):
- Duxelles is said to have been created by the 17th-century French chef François Pierre La Varenne (1615–1678) and to have been named after his employer, Nicolas Chalon du Blé, marquis d’Uxelles, maréchal de France
- Many classical cook books define duxelles as dehydrated fungi
Mushroom duxelle – recipes
The following recipes use a mushroom duxelle. Why not try out your new cooking skill for making a mushroom duxelle and try these out?