Slicing pears – this video shows you all you need to know about how to slice a pear. This is a useful cookery skill when preparing refreshing salads, such as a blue cheese, walnut and pear salad.
Pears – all you need to know
Here are some interesting facts about pears and how they are used in cooking across the world (Wikipedia):
- Several species of pear are valued for their edible fruit, while others are cultivated as ornamental trees
- Pears and apples cannot always be distinguished by the form of the fruit; some pears look very much like some apples!
- There is evidence of pears being used as a food since prehistoric times!
- Pears may be stored at room temperature until ripe – pears are ripe when the flesh around the stem gives to gentle pressure
- Pears ripen at room temperature – they will ripen faster if placed next to bananas in a fruit bowl!
- Pears are a good source of dietary fibre and a good source of vitamin C
- Pear wood is one of the preferred materials in the manufacture of high-quality woodwind instruments and furniture
Slicing pears – recipes using pears
The following recipes use pears – why not have a go at slicing pears and preparing these recipes?