This pastry recipe is for a shortcrust pastry. If looking for recipes for pastry, this rich shortcrust pastry recipe will be ideal and can be used to make great recipes such as a golden syrup tart.
Ingredients – as required | Preparation time 45 mins
- 200g plain flour
- 75g butter
- 25g lard
- 1 large egg
- Pinch salt
Method by processor
- Put all the ingredients, less the beaten egg, into the processor.
- Mix for a few moments until the mixture is like breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg and mix again for a few moments, until you have a small ball of pastry.
- Remove from the processor and wrap the shortcrust pastry in cling film and pop into the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes before using.
Method by hand
- Sieve the flour and salt into a clean bowl.
- Cut the butter and lard into small pieces and add to the flour. Using your fingers, rub the fats into the flour until it forms the texture of breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- Break the egg into a small jug and beat lightly. Then add the egg into the well in your bowl. Gently mix the flour into the egg to form a soft ball of pastry. Kneed gently until smooth.
- Remove from the bowl, wrap the shortcrust pastry in cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using.
Try not to over mix the shortcrust pastry or to over handle it and always allow the shortcrust pastry to rest before use.
Pastry making tips
We have put together some great tips for making perfect pastry every time, which includes information on the type of flour used and how you need to give the pastry time to rest!
Other pastry recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for shortcrust pastry, why not try these other great pastry recipes:
Recipes using shortcrust pastry
You may like to try the following recipes that use shortcrust pastry: