Sweet pastry – what you need for great tasting cakes
This pastry recipe is for a sweet pastry that can be used to make great tasting cakes such as mince pies.
Ingredients – as required | Preparation time 45 mins
- 250g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 80g caster sugar
- Several eggs
Method by hand
- Sieve the flour into a large clean bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place into the well in the bowl.
- Add the sugar.
- Work the sugar into the butter using your fingers until creamy and the sugar has dissolved into the butter.
- Break the eggs into a bowl until you have 100g. Beat lightly.
- Mix the beaten egg into the butter then mix in the flour until a smooth sweet pastry is achieved.
- Remove the sweet pastry from the bowl, wrap in clingfilm and allow to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using.
Method by processor
- Place the butter and sugar into the processor and cream together.
- Add the beaten egg (100g) while the processor is still running.
- Stop the processor and add the sieved flour.
- Turn on the processor until you have a smooth sweet pastry.
- Remove the sweet pastry from the processor, wrap in clingfilm and allow to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using.
Pastry making tips
We have put together some great tips for making perfect pastry every time, which includes information on the type of flour used and how you need to give the pastry time to rest!
Other pastry recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for sweet pastry, why not try these other great pastry recipes:
Recipes using sweet pastry
You may like to try the following recipes that use sweet pastry: