This cookery skill shows all you need to know about preparing asparagus for cooking. Asparagus is generally served as an appetiser or vegetable side dish.
Preparing asparagus – your step by step guide
- Firstly, wash the spears of asparagus well.
- Hold the spears one at a time between your hands and bend the spear until it snaps. Keep the thick-bottomed pieces to flavour soups or stocks.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a small knife, carefully peel the remaining stalk from the tip downwards.
- Trim the base of each spear to make each spear roughly the same length.
- Wash again and dry before cooking.