Mushroom sauce – often called a steak sauce
This mushroom recipe is for a mushroom sauce, often referred to as a steak sauce. This cream of mushroom sauce is quick to make and is great with many dishes.
Ingredients – as required | Cooking time 15 mins
- Approx. 250ml white sauce
- 175g assorted mushrooms
- 1 shallot
- 100ml double cream
- 25ml brandy
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 25g butter
- Sea salt / pepper
Mise en place
- It is nice to use an assortment of mushrooms to give the sauce a really enriched flavour. You can often buy small packs of assorted mushrooms in most supermarkets or little packets of dried wild mushrooms, which are really nice.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp, clean cloth and chop roughly. Place into a clean bowl, cover with cling film and place into a fridge for later.
- Peel and finely dice the shallot.
- Make the white sauce and keep it warm in a bain marie.
- Place a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat on the hob. Add the butter. When melted, add the shallot and allow to sweat for a few moments.
- Next, add the chopped mushrooms and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Carefully add the brandy. Be bold and ignite the pan to flambé the mushrooms. The flame will soon die away as the alcohol is quickly burnt off.
- Stir in the mustard and white sauce and bring to a simmer. Season to taste and remove from the heat.
- Using a stick blender in your saucepan, blend the sauce until it is quite smooth and the mushrooms have broken down into the sauce. If you do not have a stick blender, pour the liquid into a liquidiser to make a smooth sauce and return to the saucepan.
- Return the mushroom sauce to the hob and bring back to a gentle simmer. Stir in the cream, check the consistency and seasoning and serve the mushroom sauce hot.
Mushroom sauce – Hints and tips
This is a very nice mushroom sauce to serve with chicken.
It is nice to use an assortment of mushrooms to give the sauce a really enriched flavour. You can often buy small packs of assorted mushrooms in most supermarkets or little packets of dried wild mushrooms (but follow instructions on the packet on how to reconstitute dried mushrooms).
Stocks and sauces – Hints and tips
We have put together some essential hints and tips for preparing stocks and sauces, which includes information on seasoning and storage.
Other stocks and sauces to make
Here are some more stocks and sauces you may want to try:
Recipes using mushroom sauce
Here are some recipes using mushroom sauce: