This banana bread recipe is a great tasting cake recipe to try at home. This recipe for banana bread could be made with walnuts for a walnut bread. This banana bread will keep for several days for you to enjoy.
Click here to download the recipe for banana and walnut bread.
Ingredients – 2lb loaf tin | Cooking time 85 mins
- 120g soft butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 240g soft light brown sugar
- 140g plain flour
- 100g strong flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- A few drops vanilla extract
- 3 overripe bananas
- 75g chopped walnuts
Mise en place
- Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin with a touch of butter and place in a paper loaf tin liner or line the tin neatly with greaseproof paper.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Break the eggs into a small jug and beat together.
- Peel the bananas and place in a clean dish. Using a large dinner fork, mash them until nice and smooth. Cover with cling film until required.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Place the softened butter into a large clean mixing bowl and add the sugar. Using a handheld electric whisk, whisk until the mixture becomes soft and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Gradually add the beaten egg a little at a time. When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of vanilla extract to give a little extra flavour.
- Sift both types of flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and gently fold into the mixture using a large metal spoon. Add the mashed bananas and chopped walnuts and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and level off the top. Place on a baking tray and put in the pre-heated oven to bake for about 70–75 minutes. Try not to overcook the banana bread, as you want it nice and moist in the middle.
- When cooked, remove the banana bread from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. When cool, remove the banana bread from the tin and peel away the paper.
- Cut the banana bread into slices when required.
Banana bread – hints and tips
If making banana bread for children, leave out the walnuts.
The banana bread will keep for several days if wrapped in cling film and stored in an airtight tin.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.