Click here to download the recipe for chocolate brownies.
Mise en place
- Neatly line a 20cm x 20cm x 3cm baking tin with tin foil, ensure the foil comes up higher than the sides of the tin. Lightly grease the foil with a touch of butter.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a clean bowl.
- Break the eggs into a clean jug and beat together.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Add the butter and syrup to the bowl with the chocolate and place over a saucepan of warm water to melt slowly, stirring from time to time.
- While the chocolate and butter are slowly melting, sift the plain flour, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl and mix together using a large wooden spoon.
- When the chocolate mixture has totally melted, stir well to ensure it is lovely and smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, add the beaten eggs and a few drops of vanilla extract and beat the mixture well until it is lovely and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Use a small dinner knife to ensure that it spreads evenly.
- Place the tin in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake the chocolate brownies for about 20–25 minutes. Remove the chocolate brownies from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- When cool, remove the chocolate brownies from the tin by lifting the tin foil. Place it on top of a chopping board and carefully slide off from the foil.
- Carefully cut the brownies into the size pieces you require – try to keep the chocolate brownies quite small as they are very rich.
- Dust the chocolate brownies lightly with a little extra icing sugar and finish by dusting very lightly with a touch of cocoa powder.