This cake recipe is for a chocolate cake decorated with flaked almonds. Chocolate cakes make great birthday cakes and this choc cake recipe will fit the bill nicely.
Getting everything ready
- Make the chocolate shavings and put aside until later.
- Lightly toast the flaked almonds, allow to cool and put aside until later.
- Lightly grease the two 7 inch sandwich tins and neatly line each base with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- Weigh the flour and cocoa powder and mix together in a bowl.
- Break eggs into a clean jug and beat well.
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Place the soft margarine and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Use an electric hand-held whisk to whisk together until light and fluffy – scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Keep the whisk at high speed and gradually add the beaten egg until all the egg has been incorporated.
- Remove your whisk and sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl. Fold into the mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between your sponge tins. Smooth over the tops.
- Place side by side in your pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes until well risen and springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Turn your sponges out onto a wire cooling rack and remove the greaseproof paper. Allow to cool completely.
- Make some buttercream using 100g of butter and 250g of icing sugar. Stir in 2tbs of chocolate and hazelnut spread.
- Spread half of the buttercream over the top of one of the chocolate sponges. Place the other chocolate sponge on top and gently press down to form a chocolate sponge sandwich.
- Spread the remaining buttercream around the edges and top of the chocolate cake.
- Neatly press the toasted almonds around the side of the chocolate.
- Lay chocolate shavings over the top of the chocolate cake.
- Lay some narrow strips of paper across the top of the chocolate cake and dust liberally with icing sugar. Remove the paper strips from the chocolate cake to reveal a great decoration.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.