This recipe for bakewell tarts is a great tart recipe to try at home. Also known as congress tarts, this congress / bakewell tart recipe makes around 14 tarts for you to enjoy. Click here to download the recipe for congress tarts.
Ingredients – 12/14 tarts | Cooking time 40 mins
- 350g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 60g soft butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 30g ground almonds
- 30g self-raising flour, plus a touch for dusting
- A few drops almond essence
- A few flaked almonds, for the tops
Mise en place
- Make the shortcrust pastry and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a bun tin with a touch of butter.
- Break an egg into a small jug or cup and beat well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with a touch of flour and gently roll out the pastry until it’s nice and thin. Take a pastry cutter and cut out 8cm circles.
- Neatly line the bun tin with the circles of pastry. In the centre of each one, spoon in a small amount of jam. Place aside to rest while you make the filling.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a clean mixing bowl. Using a handheld electric whisk, cream together until light and fluffy and pale in colour. While still whisking, slowly add the beaten egg a little at a time. When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of almond essence for a little extra flavour. Remove the whisk.
- Sieve the flour and ground almonds into the mixture in the bowl and fold in using a metal spoon or spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tart cases (about 1 well-heaped teaspoon in each, ensuring the jam is covered).
- Sprinkle a few flaked almonds on the top of each congress / bakewell tart.
- Place the congress / bakewell tarts in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes until the tarts are just firm to touch and the pastry is a light golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the congress / bakewell tarts from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then transfer the congress tarts on to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.