This shows you about decorating cupcakes using food colourings to make fantastic cupcake decorations. Ensure the food dusts and colourings you use are edible for your cupcakes.
Ingredients – 6/8 cupcakes
- 75g basic cupcake mix
- few drops vanilla extract
- marzipan for 8 small circles
- Ready to roll icing (white) for 8 small circles
- Royal icing to fill a small piping bag
- Edible food dusts
- Icing sugar for dusting
Mise en place
- Make the basic cupcake mix with the addition of a few drops of vanilla extract for flavour. Bake and allow to cool.
- Make a small amount of Royal Icing. Cover with cling film for use later.
- Lightly dust your work surface and a small rolling pin with icing sugar.
- Roll out the ready to roll icing quite thin.
- Cut out enough circles to fit the top of each cupcake. Put these on some kitchen paper on a flat surface and allow to slightly harden.
- For decorating cupcakes, use edible food dusts to create a painted masterpiece. Allow to rest for an hour or so.
- Boil a little water and allow to cool.
- Spread a little Royal Icing on the centre of each cupcake.
- Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with icing sugar.
- Roll out the marzipan quite thin. Cut out a circle of marzipan for each cupcake slightly smaller than the top of your cupcake.
- Neatly place the marzipan circles onto each cupcake and press down gently.
- Carefully lay the icing used for decorating cupcakes on top of the marzipan.
- Fill a small paper piping bag fitted with a small plain tube with the Royal Icing. Carefully and neatly pipe dots of Royal Icing around the edge of the icing
You can make decorating cupcakes even more special by painting gold food colouring over the frame of dots around the edge.