Royal icing decorations for cupcakes – add some fancy designs!
This cupcake recipe shows how you can use royal icing decorations for cupcakes. With this clever little cupcake, you may think you are going to eat the plate rather than the cupcake. Click here to download the recipe for a porcelain style cupcake.
Ingredients – 6/8 cupcakes
- 75g basic cupcake mix
- few drops almond essence
- marzipan for 8 small circles
- Ready to roll icing (blue) for 8 small circles
- Ready to roll icing (white) – small amount
- Royal icing to fill a small piping bag
- Icing sugar for dusting
Mise en place
- Make the basic cupcake mix with the addition of a few drops of almond essence for flavour. Bake and allow to cool.
- Make the Royal Icing. Allow to rest and cover with cling film for use later.
- Boil a little water and allow to cool.
- Spread a little Royal Icing on the centre of each cupcake.
- Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with icing sugar.
- Roll out the marzipan quite thin. Cut out a circle of marzipan for each cupcake slightly smaller than the top of your cupcake.
- Neatly place the marzipan circles onto each cupcake and press down gently.
- Roll out the blue icing and cut out to the same size as the marzipan.
- Carefully brush over the marzipan with the cooled boiled water – this will allow the icing to stick to the marzipan.
- Lay the blue icing onto the marzipan and press down gently.
- Fill a small paper piping bag fitted with a small plain tube with the Royal Icing. Carefully pipe a wiggly line of white icing across the top half of the cupcake. Next pipe some grapes and tendrils. Add some small leaves from leftover icing. Decorate to your liking.
Using royal icing decorations for cupcakes makes great looking cupcakes.