This fruit cake recipe will make a great birthday cake or wedding cake. If you are looking for a fruit cake recipe for a special occasion, this will be ideal.
Getting everything ready
- With a touch of butter, lightly grease an 8 inch cake tin and neatly line with greaseproof paper (double thickness).
- Place the dried mixed fruit into a large clean bowl and add the chopped mixed peel. Cut the cherries in half and add to the bowl. Grate the rind of lemon and orange and add to the bowl. Mix well together.
- Sift the flour and mixed spice into another bowl. Mix in the ground almonds.
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C (Gas Mark 2).
- Place the butter and soft dark brown sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Use an electric hand-held whisk on low speed to whisk together until the mixture is creamy in texture.
- Break the eggs one at a time into a cup. Turn up the speed of the whisk and add the eggs one at a time until all the egg has been incorporated (if you find the mixture starts to separate, add a spoonful of flour to bring the mixture back to normal).
- Turn down the speed on the whisk and mix in the flour mixture.
- Add the dried mixed fruit and mix together well.
- Transfer the fruit cake mixture to the prepared baking tin – you may find it easier to use your hands. Push the mixture into the sides of the tin and level off the top with the back of your hand. Make a little indentation in the centre of your fruit cake allowing it to rise slightly during baking.
- Place the baking tin on a baking tray and put the fruit cake in your pre-heated oven for about 2.5 hours or until the fruit cake is firm when pressed with your fingers and/or a skewer comes out clean.
- When cooked, remove the fruit cake from the oven and allow to cool in it’s tin until the next day.
- Use a skewer to make a few small holes in the top of the cake and drizzle the dark rum over the surface.
- Give the fruit cake another day before removing from it’s tin then remove any greaseproof paper. Place the fruit cake in an air-tight tin until needed.
Hints and tips
If you want to make a special cake for that special occasion, such as a Birthday or Wedding, make it a few weeks in advance and add a touch more rum from time to time. The fruit cake will improve even more over several weeks.
A good dark rum has been used in this fruit cake recipe but you can of course use a good brandy.