This tarts recipe is for jam tarts and lemon tarts. This recipe for jam tarts shows how to give your jam and lemon tarts a smooth professional finish.
Click here to download the recipe for jam and lemon tarts.
Ingredients – 12/14 tarts | Cooking time 30 mins
- 375g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 300g jam or lemon curd
- A touch of butter, for greasing
- A touch of plain flour, for dusting
Mise en place
- Make the shortcrust pastry and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a shallow bun tin with a touch of butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Lightly dust the work surface and rolling pin with a touch of flour.
- Gently roll out the pastry nice and thin. Using a round pastry cutter, cut out circles of pastry large enough to line the tart moulds and neatly line the moulds with the circles of pastry.
- Spoon about half a teaspoon of jam or lemon curd into each pastry mould and spoon the remainder into a small saucepan.
- Place the jam and lemon tarts in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 12–15 minutes until light brown in colour. Remove the jam and lemon tarts from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining jam and lemon curd over a low heat on the stove until just hot enough for the jam and lemon curd to run freely from a spoon.
- Very carefully spoon the warm jam and lemon curd to top up the jam and lemon tarts and allow to cool completely before removing the jam and lemon tarts from the moulds.
Jam and lemon tarts – hints and tips
Adding most of the jam after the pastry has been baked gives a much more professional finish to the tarts – a nice crisp pastry case and very full of jam or lemon curd with a lovely smooth surface.
This method also stops the jam from boiling over in the pastry and spilling all over the place, which in turn makes the washing up a little easier!
Please take good care when using hot jam or lemon curd as they may reach a very high temperatures. Take even more care if children are helping with the baking.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.