This recipe shows how to make scones. Fruit scones can be made by adding sultanas. This recipe makes a great snack for any time of the day.
Getting everything ready
- Lightly grease a flat baking tray or use a non-stick mat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 210°C (Gas Mark 6).
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large clean mixing bowl. Add the butter and gently rub between your fingers until it has mixed into the flour.
- Using a palette knife, stir in the caster sugar. Continue to use the palette knife and stir in the milk to form a nice soft dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and gently kneed for a few moments.
- Lightly dust the work surface and rolling pin and gently roll out the dough to 2cm thickness.
- Using a plain 6cm pastry cutter, cut out each scone and place on the baking tray. Allow the scones to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Lightly brush the top of each scone with a little milk and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 12 minutes, until golden in colour and well risen. Remove from the oven and carefully place the scones on a wire rack to cool for a while.
Scones – hints and tips
A scone is great when served warm from the oven with thick clotted cream and strawberry jam.
For fruit scones such as sultanas, simply add 50g of dried fruit at the same time as the caster sugar.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.