This sponge cake recipe is for making a swiss roll cake. This swiss roll cake recipe is quick to make and is a great cake to serve with friends.
Click here to download the recipe for swiss roll.
Mise en place
- Lightly grease a swiss roll tin (approx 30cm by 24cm) with a touch of butter. Neatly line the base with greaseproof paper and lightly grease the paper with butter.
- Weigh and measure all ingredients.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6).
- Break the eggs into a large clean mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and whisk using an electric whisk until the mixture is light and creamy – this will take a few minutes. The mixture should now be full of air and quite thick.
- Sift the flour into the bowl. Exchange the whisk for a large metal spoon or spatula and gently fold the flour into the mixture – we want to keep as much air in the mixture as possible.
- When the flour has been folded in, pour the mixture into the swiss roll tin. Smooth over using the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Place in a pre-heated oven for about 6-7 minutes until lightly golden in colour and slightly firm to touch.
- While the sponge is cooking, lay a clean cloth on your work surface and place a sheet of greaseproof paper on top. Dust the paper liberally with caster sugar.
- Remove the sponge cake from the oven and run a blunt knife round the edge. Carefully turn the sponge cake out onto the paper that has sugar on. Remove the tin and greaseproof paper from the sponge.
- Mix the jam together until runny and quickly spread over the sponge cake.
- Begin rolling the sponge cake towards you by pulling the greaseproof paper. Ensure the sponge cake is rolling tightly.
- When it has been completely rolled, place the swiss roll cake on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cut the swiss roll cake into slices and serve.