This biscuits recipe is for vanilla shortbread biscuits, sometimes called shortbread cookies. This recipe for shortbread uses vanilla sugar and makes great tasting biscuits for all to enjoy.
- Place the flour into a processor and add the vanilla sugar.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour and sugar.
- Turn on the processor and you will soon have a vanilla flavoured shortbread mix.
- Lightly butter a small shallow baking tray and using your hands, press the mixture into the tray, ensuring an even thickness.
- Allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (Gas Mark 2).
- Place the vanilla shortbread into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until light golden brown in colour.
- Remove the vanilla shortbread biscuits from the oven and using a dinner fork, gently make small holes all over the shortbread.
- Dust the vanilla shortbread biscuits liberally with more vanilla or caster sugar and cut into small finger shaped biscuits.
- Allow the shortbread biscuits to cool completely before removing from the baking tray.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.