This apple pie recipe is a great apple recipe to try. If looking for a recipe for apple pies, this makes 3 individual apple pies to serve with custard or ice cream.
Mise en place
- Make the shortcrust pastry and allow it to rest.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into about 2cm size pieces and place them in a saucepan. Add the sugar, zest and juice of ½ lemon and the 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Place on the hob over a medium heat, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and allow the apples to stew gently for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. You should find that the apples will begin to turn into a nice stiff pulp.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a fine strainer. Leave it to drain and cool.
- Lightly grease the flan cases with a touch of butter. After your pastry has been allowed to rest, roll out enough pastry to line your flan cases, leaving a slight overlap on the edges. Then, roll out the remaining pastry and cut into circles slightly larger than your flan rings. These will be your tops. Store in the fridge until required.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and beat lightly to use for the egg wash.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Remove the pastry-lined flan cases from the fridge and fill each one with the well-drained apple. Egg wash the edges of the pastry and neatly place the pastry lid on top. Gently press down around the edges and, using the point of a small knife, make a small hole in the centre of each pie, which will allow any steam to escape while baking.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll around the edges of the pies, which should remove any excess pastry.
- Place the apple pies onto a baking tray. Egg wash each apple pie and sprinkle over a touch of sugar.
- Place the tray into the pre-heated oven to bake for about 20–25 minutes, when the apple pies should be a light golden brown. Remove the apple pies from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before removing the apple pies from the flan cases.
- Serve the apple pies hot with custard sauce.