Golden syrup tart – also known as treacle tarts
This is a recipe for a golden syrup tart, also known as golden syrup cakes and treacle tarts. These individual golden syrup tarts are great served with raspberries or rhubarb.
Click here to download the recipe for golden syrup tart.
Ingredients – Serves 4 | Cooking time 40 mins
- Approx. 200g shortcrust pastry
- A touch flour, for dusting
- 150g golden syrup
- 25g butter, plus a touch extra for greasing
- 50ml double cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon
- 65g white breadcrumbs
Mise en place
- Make the shortcrust pastry and allow it to rest.
- Make the white breadcrumbs.
- Finely grate the rind from the lemon into a small bowl and then cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice into the bowl, removing any pips.
- Lightly butter the flan cases. Here, we are using four 10cm cases. Then, after the pastry has rested, lightly dust the surface with a little flour, roll out the pastry and neatly line the flan cases with the pastry. Place the cases in the fridge until required.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and beat lightly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Pour the golden syrup into a clean bowl and add the butter and lemon. Place the bowl over a saucepan of hot water over a low heat on the hob. Allow it to warm through and for the butter to melt. When the butter has melted, remove the bowl from the saucepan and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the egg and stir in the cream. Finally, stir in the fresh white breadcrumbs and mix well together.
- Divide the mixture between the pastry-lined flan cases. Place onto a baking tray and put it in the pre-heated oven to bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the golden syrup tarts from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before removing the tarts from the flan cases. Serve the golden syrup tarts slightly warm with custard or cream.
As the syrup tart is quite sweet, it is nice to serve the golden syrup tarts with something that is a touch sharp in flavour as an accompaniment, such as raspberries or a little poached rhubarb.
Golden syrup tart recipe – summary
Name of recipe: Golden syrup tart
Last updated: 19 November 2014
Type of dish: Dessert recipe
Prep time: 40 mins | Cook time: 40 mins | Total cook time: 1 hrs 20 mins
3.5 stars based on 2 reviews
Other great tasting dessert recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for a golden syrup tart, why not try these other great tasting dessert recipes: