This vanilla bavarois recipe is great for those looking for recipes for vanilla. This vanilla bavarois cake recipe can be served with whipped cream, strawberries and brandy snaps.
Ingredients – Serves 4 | Cooking time 3 hrs
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 180ml full fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 leaves leaf gelatine
- 250ml double cream, plus extra for garnish
- 4 strawberries, to garnish
- < a title=”Brandy snaps” href=”http://www.cookeryskills.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/brandy-snaps/”>Brandy snaps (optional)
- Separate the eggs, putting the yolks into a clean bowl and saving the whites for another use.
- Add the sugar to the bowl.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan.
- Split the vanilla pod into half lengthways, scrape out the seeds and add to the milk. Also add the pod itself to the milk. Allow it to stand for a while to help infuse the vanilla flavour into the milk.
- Soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water. You will find that it soon goes limp.
- Place the milk onto the hob over a low heat and bring almost to the boil.
- Meanwhile, using a small electric whisk, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until they become thick and creamy and pale in colour.
- When the milk is almost boiling, remove from the hob and carefully pour over the egg mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Now, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return to the hob over a low heat. Keep stirring with the spoon until the mixture begins to thicken slightly until it coats the back of your spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove from the heat.
- Take the leaf gelatine between your fingers and squeeze out all the excess water and place it in the mixture. They will dissolve in a few seconds.
- Pass the mixture through a fine strainer into a clean bowl. Allow it to cool. Keep stirring from time to time.
- When the mixture is cool enough, place the vanilla bavarois in the fridge.
- Lightly whisk the double cream into soft peaks.
- When the mixture in the fridge is almost about to set, remove the vanilla bavarois cake from the fridge and gently fold in the whisked cream. Mix well. Ladle into the moulds and return to the fridge to finish setting for about 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, turn out the vanilla bavarois onto plates. Garnish with a little whipped cream and a sliced strawberry.
- To remove the vanilla bavarois cake from their moulds, carefully run a point of a small knife around the inside of the top edge. Then, stand the mould in a shallow bowl of hot water for a few moments. Turn onto a plate, give it a gentle shake and hopefully the vanilla bavarois cake will leave the mould as clean as a whistle.
Vanilla bavarois – hints and tips
Do not throw away the empty vanilla pod. Wash and dry it in a very low oven for about 1 hour and use as a garnish or to make vanilla sugar.