Egg fried rice – simple and delicious
This recipe for rice is for egg fried rice. This recipe for fried rice is quick to make and is great with a wide range of dishes. Click here to download the recipe for egg fried rice.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 10 mins
- 175g cooked long grain rice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch salt
- A little vegetable oil, for frying
Mise en place
- Cook the rice in a little salted water until only just cooked.
- Drain in a colander and run under cold water to remove all the starch from the rice (continue until the water runs clear).
- Allow the rice to drain very well until it is dry and fluffy. Stir from time to time to fluff the rice up.
- Break the egg into a clean bowl, add a pinch of salt and beat with a fork.
- Heat a little oil in a wok or large frying pan. When hot, pour in the beaten egg and stir all the time with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- When the egg has cooked in small pieces, stir in the cooked rice and stir-fry for a few minutes until well heated.
- Stir in the soy sauce and mix well. Ensure the egg fried rice is piping hot, remove from the wok and stir.
Egg fried rice – hints and tips
To cook the rice, pour 400ml of water into a medium-sized saucepan and place on the stove to boil. When boiling, add a good pinch of salt and stir in the rice. Turn down the heat to a more gentle boil and allow the rice to cook slowly for about 12 minutes.
A word of caution about reheating cooked rice. As you can see from this recipe, the rice is pre-cooked, but there is a need to show some respect to these little white grains, as cooked rice may contain a nasty bacteria that could give an upset tummy. So, when cooked, cool the rice under cold running water as quickly as possible, allow it to drain well and store in a clean bowl with a tight layer of cling film over the top or in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Get the cooked rice into the fridge as soon as possible and store in the coldest part of the fridge at around 4°C if you can. Do not store cooked rice for more than a day or two at the very longest. When reheating, it is extremely important to ensure that the rice is really piping hot before serving
Of course, if you wish you can cook the rice, drain it well and fry it straight away, but you may find that rice cooked in this way may be a little stodgier.
Take good care when storing and reheating cooked rice.
Tips for cooking eggs
Here are some great tips for buying and cooking eggs as well as where to store them.
Other egg recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for egg fried rice, why not try these other great tasting egg recipes: