Cooking sprats – a great little fishy starter!
This starter recipe shows how to cook sprats. This sprats recipe is served with a horseradish sauce and you could use whitebait instead of sprats if you wish.
Click here to download the recipe for deep fried sprats.
Ingredients – Serves 4 | Cooking time 10 mins
- 32 sprats (8 per portion)
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 4 teaspoons horseradish mustard
- Oil for frying
- 4 slices brown bread and butter
- A few leaves of Little Gem lettuce
- Sea salt / pepper
Fancy home delivery for your ingredients? There are some great offers available.
Mise en place
- Season the flour with sea salt and freshly milled black pepper. Add most of the cayenne pepper (saving a little for dusting) and mix well.
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
- Wash and dry a few lettuce leaves.
- Chop the parsley.
- Wash the sprats. Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the heads. Rewash and pat them dry on a clean cloth.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or work to around 200°C (Gas Mark 6). Pass the sprats through the seasoned flour and shake off any excess flour.
- Carefully lower into the hot oil. Fry about 6 at a time, so as not to lower the oil temperature.
- Fry for about 4 minutes until crispy and light brown in colour.
- Remove the sprats from the hot oil and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm while cooking the remaining sprats.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on your plates.
- Neatly arrange the sprats. Add the lemon wedges and a spoonful of horseradish mustard. Add a piece of bread and butter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and dust with a little cayenne pepper. Serve hot.
Cooking sprats – hints and tips
You can exchange sprats in favour of whitebait, which are a little smaller. Increase the number to about 16 per portion. Don’t remove the heads and fry for about 2 minutes.
Are you missing something?
Need a new bowl, chopping board, knife or just about anything for your kitchen? Find it in a few clicks!
Any drinks to go with that?
Have you got all you need to drink to accompany your meal? There are some great offers available.
Deep fried sprats recipe – summary
Name of recipe: Deep fried sprats
Last updated: 11 April 2015
Type of dish: Starter recipe
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Total cook time: 20 mins
4.0 stars based on 3 reviews
Other great tasting starter recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for sprats, why not try these other great tasting starter recipes: