This skate wing recipe is for skate wings served with darkened butter and capers. This skate wings recipe looks great on the plate and tastes fantastic.
Getting everything ready
- Ask your fishmonger to trim the skate wings and remove any skin and cut them into equal size pieces.
- Place the flour into a shallow dish and season the flour well with sea salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- Grate the zest off the lemon into a small bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice into the bowl, removing any pips.
- Wash, dry and chop the parsley and place in a small clean bowl.
- Drain the capers from their jar and rinse lightly under cold water. Dry and place in another small, clean bowl.
- Weigh the butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Over a medium heat, heat a heavy-based frying pan and add a little oil to shallow fry.
- Pass the skate through the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess flour, and carefully lower the skate wings into the hot oil, lowering it away from you when placing into the pan to avoid any splashes of hot oil.
- Fry the skate wings on one side for 2–3 minutes. Carefully turn over and cook the other side until golden brown in colour.
- Remove the skate from the pan onto a baking tray and place in the oven for about 5 minutes, depending on the size of the skate wings. The skate is cooked when gently pressing it will start to come apart.
- While the skate wings are in the oven, empty the oil from your frying pan and wipe out with a few sheets of kitchen paper or use a clean pan. Return to the heat, add the butter and allow to melt. The butter will start to foam, continue to cook the butter until it goes a dark brown in colour. Keep your eyes on it as it will begin to colour quite quickly. This is called beurre noisette.
- Add the lemon juice and zest. Remove from the heat and add the capers and chopped parsley. Mix well.
- Remove the skate wings from the oven and carefully place each skate wing onto warmed plates. Spoon over the beurre noisette, capers and parsley. Serve immediately.