This smoked haddock beignets recipe is served with poached eggs and will be ideal for those looking for recipes with haddock.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 10 mins
- 200g smoked haddock
- 150ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- Sea salt to taste
- Paprika pepper to taste
- 1 shallot
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 2 handfuls of rocket lettuce and watercress
- 4 large eggs
- French dressing to garnish
- 100g choux pastry mis
Mise en place
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and, add the chopped shallot, bay leaf and peppercorns and lower in the smoked haddock.
- Place the saucepan on the hob and bring to a gentle boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the fish is cooked. Using a fish slice, carefully remove the fish from the pan and place on a plate to cool.
- When the fish is cool enough to handle, flake the haddock between your fingers, removing any skin and bones. Place in a clean bowl, cover with cling film and store in the fridge until required.
- Make the choux pastry.
- Gently mix the flaked haddock into the choux pastry mix. Season to taste with sea salt and paprika pepper.
- Wash and dry the rocket leaves and watercress. Mix together.
- Make a little french dressing.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok to about 170 degrees. When the oil has reached temperature, using two dessert spoons, carefully and neatly quenelle the mixture and drop it into the hot oil.
- Deep fry the smoked haddock for about 5 minutes, turning from time to time, until the choux pastry mixture is well puffed up and golden in colour.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the smoked haddock beignets from the oil and drain on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs lightly in another saucepan.
- Lightly dress the rocket leaves and watercress with a little French dressing and neatly pile onto the centre of warmed plates.
- Arrange the smoked haddock beignets around the rocket leaves and place a lovely soft poached egg or two on the top of the rocket.
- Lightly dust the smoked haddock beignets with a little more paprika pepper and serve immediately.