This beef recipe is for a braised brisket of beef with dumplings. This brisket recipe is also a great way of slowly cooking a shoulder of lamb. If looking for recipes for brisket, this beef brisket will be ideal. Click here to download the recipe for braised brisket with dumplings.
Ingredients – Serves 4 | Cooking time 3 1/2 hours
- Approx. 1.5kg thick end of brisket
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium size leek
- 3 sticks celery
- Approx. 1.5l beef stock
- Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
- Sea salt / pepper
- 4 portions dumpling mix
For the bouquet garni:
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8–10 parsley stalks
- 10 peppercorns
Mise en place
- Ask your butcher to roll and tightly tie the joint of brisket for you.
- Make the beef stock.
- Make the bouquet garni.
- Peel the onion and cut the onion into large dice.
- Wash, peel and rewash the carrots and cut the carrot into large dice.
- Wash the leek and cut into large pieces.
- Wash the celery and cut into large pieces.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (Gas Mark 2).
- Make the dumpling mix.
- Season the joint well with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a heavy-based sauté pan over a medium heat on the hob. Add the joint and keep turning from time to time until it has a nice even colour. Remove from the pan and place in a casserole dish with a lid.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the sauté pan and stir-fry for a few minutes. Pour the stock over the vegetables and bring to the boil. Season to taste. Carefully pour over the beef in the ovenproof casserole dish. Add the bouquet garni. Place on the lid and into the oven to slowly braise for about 3 hours.
- After about 2½ hours, take out about three-quarters of the cooking liquid and strain into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil on the hob, turn down the heat and allow to simmer until it has reduced by half and the flavour has intensified. Check the seasoning. This will be your gravy. If you wish the gravy to be a little thicker, just mix a little cornflour with a touch of cold water to form a smooth paste and stir it into the boiling liquid.
- While making the gravy, put the dumplings on to cook.
- After about 3 hours, remove the beef brisket onto a clean dish and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- When the beef brisket has had a little time to rest, place it onto your board and using a sharp knife, carve neatly into slices. Place the beef brisket onto warmed plates. Add those lovely dumplings and nap over a touch of gravy. Serve the braised beef brisket immediately. Extra gravy can be served in a gravy boat.
Braised brisket – hints and tips
This is also a great way of slowly cooking a shoulder of lamb. Add a sprig of rosemary to the bouquet garni and exchange the dumplings for a nice, fresh apple sauce.
Cooking tips for main course recipes
Main course recipes come in all shapes and sizes to suit different tastes and appetites. Click here for some great suggestions for cooking tips for mains recipes.