This chicken recipe is for chicken goujons. This chicken goujon recipe is served with baby corn and pomegranate seeds. Click here to download the recipe for chicken goujons.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 15 mins
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Vegetable oil, to deep fry
- Tempura batter
- Approx. 5 tablespoons lemon oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Sea salt / pepper
- Baby sweetcorn, as accompaniment
- A few watercress leaves, for garnish
Mise en place
- Make the lemon oil the day before. Place it in an airtight jar and store in the fridge.
- Trim off any skin or bits of fat from the chicken and cut into strips lengthways, giving you 4 or 5 strips from each breast of chicken. Place into a clean bowl, cover with cling film and store in the fridge until required. Don’t forget to wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
- Place the flour into a clean shallow dish and season well with salt and pepper.
- Wash and dry the watercress.
- Mix the pomegranate seeds into the lemon oil.
- Make the tempura batter.
- Pour enough oil into a deep pan or wok to deep fry. Place it on the hob and heat to about 180°C (Gas Mark 4). Don’t forget to use the knob on your hob to control the temperature of your oil.
- Pass the strips of chicken through the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess flour, and into the tempura batter.
- When the oil is hot enough, take the chicken trips one at a time and carefully lower into your oil. When lowering anything into hot oil, always lower it away from you to avoid any splashes.
- Don’t fry too many pieces of chicken at one time to avoid overfilling the pan.
- Fry the chicken for a few minutes, turning from time to time until the chicken is cooked and the batter is golden and crispy. Depending on the thickness of your chicken strips to the length of time to cook the chicken, it should be around 5 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the chicken goujons from the oil and drain on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil. Keep the chicken goujons warm if necessary until all the pieces have been cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the baby corn and drain in a colander.
- Neatly arrange the chicken goujons on warmed plates. Add a few baby corns and drizzle around a little lemon oil and pomegranate seeds. Garnish with a few crisp watercress leaves and serve your chicken goujons immediately.
Chicken goujons – hints and tips
Don’t forget to take care when using deep hot oil. Make sure your pan stands firmly on your hob so it won’t tip. Always turn off the heat when finished and remove your pan from the hob. Be extra careful if small children are around. Always turn your pan handles away from the front of the hob so no-one can grab hold of them.
Cooking tips for main course recipes
Main course recipes come in all shapes and sizes to suit different tastes and appetites. Click here for some great suggestions for cooking tips for mains recipes.