This lamb recipe is for lamb kebabs and is served with a yoghurt dressing and red onions. These lamb kebabs will be great for barbeques. Click here to download the recipe for lamb and red onion kebabs.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 20 mins
- Approx. 350g lamb, such as neck fillet
- 2 red onions
- Approx. 100g red pepper
- ½ iceburg lettuce, finely shredded (chiffonade)
- 2 pitta bread
- Sea salt / pepper
- Approx. 4 tablespoons mint, cucumber and yoghurt dressing
- 4 baked stuffed tomatoes
For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mise en place
- Make the cucumber and yoghurt dressing and store in the fridge until required.
- We need a nice tender cut of lamb such as neck fillet. Prepare the lamb by cutting off any excess fat and cut the remaining meat into large dice. Or, ask your butcher to do this for you. Don’t forget to wash your hands after handling raw meat and to exchange your chopping board.
- Peel and cut the onion into large dice.
- Wash and dry the red pepper. Cut the pepper into quarters, remove the seeds and cut into largish square shapes.
- Mix together the ingredients for the marinade in a clean dish, cover and put aside for later.
- Now, start to fill your skewers with the lamb, onion and pepper until your skewers are full. Try to keep a tiny space between each item to allow the kebab to cook evenly.
- Place the lamb kebabs in a shallow dish and season to taste. Pour over the marinade, cover with cling film and place the lamb kebabs in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour.
- Wash, dry and finely shred the lettuce.
- If you have any herbs and onion left over from the mise en place, spread them over a baking tray. This will help to give the kebabs a touch more flavour while being grilled.
- Pre-heat the grill to a medium heat.
- Remove the lamb kebabs from the marinade and place on the baking tray (with any spare onion and herbs). Brush over a little of the marinade and place under the pre-heated grill.
- Keep turning the lamb kebabs from time to time and brush with the marinade. Grill the lamb kebabs until the lamb is slightly pink in the middle.
- Meanwhile, slightly warm the pitta bread and carefully cut off one edge lengthways. You should now be able to open them up like an envelope.
- Place a good handful of the shredded lettuce in each pitta and place onto warmed plates.
- Remove the lamb kebabs from under the grill and place neatly into the pitas. Drizzle over some of the yoghurt dressing and serve any remaining dressing in a small clean dish.
- Add the baked tomatoes to the plate and serve immediately.
Lamb kebabs – hints and tips
Here lamb has been used to fill the skewers to give you an idea, but you can skewer many ingredients, such as beef, chicken, fish, mushrooms or baby tomatoes and all sorts of vegetables.
Kebabs are a great dish for summer BBQs.
If you use wooden skewers, give them a good long soak in cold water before using – this should help to stop them burning.
Cooking tips for main course recipes
Main course recipes come in all shapes and sizes to suit different tastes and appetites. Click here for some great suggestions for cooking tips for mains recipes.