This potato recipe is for a baked jacket potato. This baked potato recipe makes a great snack at any time of the day.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°-170°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Thoroughly wash and scrub the potato. Using a dinner fork, prick the potato several times and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle the potato with a little sea salt and place in the pre-heated oven.
- Cook until the potato is soft when squeezed with your fingers. A little care should be taken when testing your potato as they can explode, so always cover your potatoes with a clean cloth before testing with your fingers.
- The cooking time will differ from each type of potato and, of course, depending on the size of potato. On average they take around 60 to 75 minutes.
- When cooked, remove from the baked jacket potato oven and allow the potato to rest for a few moments. Cut a large cross on the top of the jacket potato and squeeze from the middle with your fingers. This will force the baked potato to open. Season to taste and place a large knob of butter into the potato. It is now ready to eat and enjoy.
Baked jacket potato – hints and tips
A baked jacket potato is a very versatile food. It can be a vehicle to carry many foodstuffs when the potato is cooked and opened (e.g. baked beans, grated cheese, chilli or tuna, to name but a few).