Crispy green salad – a classic green salad
This crispy green salad is quick and easy to make. This mixed green salad can use the lettuce of your choice.
Ingredients – as required | Preparation time 10 mins
- 1 frisee lettuce
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 1 cos lettuce
- A handful baby spinach leaves
- A few mint leaves
- Break off the lettuce leaves and wash them in a bowl of slightly salted water.
- Pick the spinach leaves from their stalks and add to the bowl of water. Do the same with the mint leaves and parsley. Wash well, making sure there is no ‘unwanted guest’ in the salad! Drain in a colander.
- Lay a clean cloth flat on your work surface. Place your drained salad leaves into the centre of the cloth and gather up the edges of the cloth to make a parcel. Take it outside and, holding firmly, spin the cloth as fast as you can. You will be surprised at how much water you get out of your salad.
- Take the dry salad indoors and tear the salad leaves between your hands into a clean bowl. Add the dressing of your choice to your crispy mixed green salad. We need to get as much water out of the salad as possible, so that the dressing will cling to the leaves. After all, oil and water do not mix very well
Crispy green salad – hints and tips
Whenever possible, always tear lettuce with your hands – using a knife causes the lettuce to bruise.
In this recipe, frisee, cos and little gem lettuce are used as an example. Of course. you can use the lettuce of your choice. There are some really nice types of lettuce available today. If you use packs of already mixed salad leaves, still wash and dry them first.
Salad making tips
We have put together some great tips for making great tasting and simple salads. This includes the use of olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.
Great tasting salad recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for crispy green salad, why not try these other great tasting salad recipes:
Try these great tasting salad dressings to give your salad great taste: