Tomato salad – makes a great starter
This salad recipe for tomato salad and is served with shallots and vinaigrette. This tomato salad recipe can be served with extra virgin olive oil and makes a great starter. Click here to download the recipe for tomato salad.
Ingredients – Serves 4 | Preparation time 75 mins
- 8 fresh, ripe, medium-sized tomatoes
- 50g shallots
- A few small basil leaves, to garnish
- Vinaigrette dressing, to taste
- Sea salt / pepper
Mise en place
- Blanch, refresh and peel the tomatoes.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Make the vinaigrette dressing.
- With a very sharp knife, carefully slice the peeled tomatoes. Lay into a shallow dish, sprinkle over the shallots and drizzle over some of the dressing. Season to taste.
- Add a few small basil leaves, cover with cling film and place in a fridge for 1-2 hours.
- To serve the tomato salad, remove from the fridge, arrange the sliced tomatoes neatly on the plates. Drizzle over a little more dressing and mill over a little more black pepper. Garnish with a few fresh small basil leaves.
Tomato salad – hints and tips
As with many salad recipes, this tomato salad will make an excellent starter.
If it is a hot summer’s day and you are having a meal outside and wish to be transported to the Mediterranean, instead of drizzling over a vinaigrette dressing, give your tomatoes a good dressing of extra virgin olive oil.
Salad making tips
We have put together some great tips for making great tasting and simple salads. This includes the use of olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.
Great tasting salad recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for tomato salad, why not try these other great tasting salad recipes:
Try these great tasting salad dressings to give your salad great taste: