This pumpkin soup recipe is for pumpkin and sweet potato soup. This soup recipe is a halloween favourite – pumpkin and sweet potato.
Ingredients – Serves 4 | Cooking time 40 mins
- 200g pumpkin flesh
- 400g sweet potatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 150ml double cream, plus extra for garnish
- A touch of cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ star anise
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 6 parsley stalks
Mise en place
- Make the vegetable stock.
- Wash, peel and rewash the sweet potatoes and cut into medium dice.
- Cut the pumpkin flesh into the same size pieces.
- Make the bouquet garni.
- Crack the black pepper.
- Place the pumpkin flesh and sweet potatoes into a medium-size saucepan. Pour over the stock, season slightly and add the bouquet garni.
- Place the saucepan on the hob over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, put on a lid and allow to cook until both the pumpkin and the potatoes are well cooked (about 20–25 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces).
- When well cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the bouquet garni.
- Carefully pour into a blender and blend to a smooth liquid. Pass the liquid through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Check the seasoning but don’t add any more pepper, as we are going to garnish the soup with pepper.
- Take the little extra cream and whip it until it becomes thick enough to pipe through a small plain piping tube.
- Return the soup to a medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream.
- Ladle the pumpkin soup into warmed soup bowls.
- Spoon the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a small plain tube and quickly try to pipe a cobweb on each bowl of soup. Sprinkle over with a little cracked black pepper and serve with hunks of warm crispy bread