Breakfast recipes are for all day and this cooked breakfast recipe makes a great snack or meal. If looking for cooked breakfast ideas, this breakfast recipe with mushrooms, bacon, black pudding, eggs and tomatoes will be ideal.
Getting everything ready
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut into 1cm croûtons.
- Blanch and refresh the tomatoes and remove the skins.
- Peel the mushrooms and carefully remove the stalks. Place them on a baking tray and season with black pepper and drizzle over a little olive oil.
- Remove any skin from the black pudding and place on the baking tray with the mushrooms.
- Cut any rind off the bacon and cut each rasher into two crossways.
- Put the tomato ketchup into a small saucepan and add a little water to make it a little more runny.
- Pre-heat the grill to hot.
- Have a saucepan ready to poach the eggs.
- Fry the croûtons and keep them warm.
- Place the tray of mushrooms and black pudding under the grill and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the grill, turn over both the mushrooms and the black pudding.
- Add the bacon and tomatoes to the tray and replace under the grill and cook for about a further 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the bacon half way through cooking.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the tomato ketchup.
- Bring the water for poaching the eggs to a gentle boil and poach the eggs.
- When the breakfast is cooked, place a flat mushroom in the centre of a warmed plate, add a slice of black pudding followed by two small rashers of bacon and top with a soft poached egg. Place three tomatoes and a few croutons around each plate and drizzle over with ketchup. Mill over some back pepper and serve your breakfast while hot.
Mini cooked breakfast – hints and tips
If you are not a lover of black pudding, use your favourite sausage instead.
This cooked breakfast is nice served with small triangles of hot toast.
Be careful with salt as the bacon may be salty enough. Don’t forget – you can always add seasoning but never take it away!