Getting everything ready
- Make the marie rose sauce and keep in the fridge until required.
- Peel, deseed the finely dice the cucumber.
- Concasse the tomatoes and cut the tomato into a fine dice.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthways and remove the stone. Using a small melon baller, ball the fleshy part of the avocado (as for balling a melon) and place the small balls into a bowl. Sprinkle over the lemon juice.
- Cut the lemon into quarters lengthways. Remove any pips and trim the wedges.
- Wash and dry and finely shred the lettuce.
- Knap a little marie rose sauce into the bottom of an avocado skin. Use the lettuce to make a nest for the avocado skins to sit on.
- Drain off any excess lemon juice from the avocado and divide the avocado balls between the avocado skins.
- Carefully add the king prawns to the avocado skins.
- Knap over the remaining marie rose sauce and dust the prawn cocktail with a sprinkling of paprika pepper.
- Serve the prawn and avocado cocktail with a neat wedge of lemon.
Prawn cocktail – hints and tips
It is nice to serve this prawn and avocado cocktail recipe with triangles of brown bread and butter.
Try not to ball the avocado too early, as it has a tendency to discolour in the air. The lemon juice should hopefully stop this happening too quickly.