This recipe is for carrot batons, which are cooked with an orange zest. If looking for a recipe for cooking carrots, this carrot baton recipe is ideal.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 20 mins
- Approx. 200g carrots
- 1 medium-sized orange
- 10g caster sugar
- 20g butter
- Sea salt
Mise en place
- Wash and peel the carrots and cut the carrots into neat baton shapes.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the orange thinly. Then, cut half of the peel into very fine julienne.
- Place the baton carrots into a saucepan. Add the sugar and salt to taste and add the orange zest.
- Cut the remaining orange into half and squeeze out the juice into the carrots, removing any pips that may escape. Put the pieces of squeezed orange into the saucepan.
- Just cover the baton carrots with water. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, place the lid on the saucepan and cook until the carrots are just cooked. They need to still be a little bit crunchy.
- Remove the large orange pieces leaving the fine julienne orange peel mixed with the carrot batons and drain into a colander.
Serve the carrot batons in warmed dishes or on warmed plates. To finish, add a knob of butter to the carrot batons.