This courgette recipe is for cooking courgettes in tempura batter. This way of cooking courgettes using a tempura batter mix creates delicious courgettes for all to enjoy.
Getting everything ready
- Wash and dry the courgettes. Top and tail them and cut into neat baton shapes about 6cm in length.
- Place the flour in a clear shallow dish. Mix in the chilli powder and season with a few twists of sea salt. Mix together well.
- Make the tempura batter.
- In a wok or saucepan, heat enough oil to deep fry to around 180°C.
- Pass the batons of courgettes through the seasoned flour and into the tempura batter.
- Carefully take the courgettes from the tempura batter and place in the hot oil. Fry for a few minutes until light golden brown and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the courgette fingers from the oil and drain on some kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Serve the courgette fingers immediately on warmed plates or in a warmed serving dish.
Cooking courgettes – hints and tips
Don’t try to fry too many courgettes at one time. It is much better to fry just a few at a time, as this will keep the temperature of the oil up and you will not overcrowd your pan.
Lots of vegetables can be cooked this way, such as broccoli florets, cauliflower, batons of parsnips, etc but it would be best if they are blanched quickly first and dried well before frying, for droplets of water and hot oil do not mix very well. We don’t want hot oil spitting everywhere.