This vegetable recipe is for roasted root vegetables and is a great way of cooking roast vegetables. You could use Mediterranean vegetables, such as pepper, tomatoes, courgettes and aubergine.
Getting everything ready
- Wash, peel and rewash the carrots and cut the carrots into 2cm large dice
- Peel the shallots then cut into halves.
- Wash, peel and rewash the swede and cut the swede into 2cm large dice
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves.
- Wash, peel and rewash the turnip then cut the turnip into 2cm large dice
- Wash, peel and rewash the parsnip and cut the parsnip into 2cm large dice.
- Wash and dry the rosemary sprigs.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Pour a little oil into a roasting tray or an ovenproof dish. Place into the oven to heat.
- When the oil is hot, remove from the oven and add all the diced vegetables, the shallots and garlic cloves. Season to taste. Mix well to ensure all the vegetables are coated with oil.
- Place the sprigs of rosemary on top of the root vegetables and return to the oven to roast for about 30 minute, stirring from time to time.
- When nicely roasted, remove the roasted root vegetables from the oven. Throw away the sprigs of rosemary.
- Spoon the roasted root vegetables into a colander, shake well to remove any excess oil and spoon the root vegetables onto warmed plates or into a warmed serving dish. Serve immediately.
Roasted root vegetables – hints and tips
Although root vegetables are mainly in season during the winter months, they are freely available all year round.
For a change, exchange root vegetables for Mediterranean vegetables, such as pepper, tomatoes, courgettes and aubergine.