This cake recipe is for mince pies. If you are looking for a mince pies recipe, this recipe is all you need.
Ingredients – 12 pies
- 550g sweet pastry
- 400g mincemeat
- 1tbs brandy (optional)
- Icing sugar to dust
- Butter to grease
- Plain flour to dust
Getting everything ready
- Make the sweet pastry and allow it to rest.
- Empty a jar of mincemeat into a clean bowl and stir in the brandy, if you are using it. Cover the bowl with cling film until required.
- Lightly grease the bun tins with a little butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with plain flour and gently roll out the pastry until it’s nice and thin.
- Using a pastry cutter that is slightly larger than the bun tins, cut out circles of pastry and carefully line each mould with the circles.
- Spoon in the mincemeat to around three quarters full.
- Cut slightly smaller pastry circles and place on top of the mince pies. Press down slightly.
- Make a tiny hole in the middle of each mince pie to allow any steam to escape.
- Bind together any scraps of pastry and roll out thinly. Use a holly leaf cutter to cut out small holly leaves. Dampen the underside of the pastry leaves and neatly place onto each mince pie. Roll a tiny ball of pastry to place in the centre of the holly leaves to look like berries.
- Place the mince pies in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the mince pies from the oven and allow to cool for a while. Transfer the pies onto a cooling rack and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve the mince pies cold or, if you wish, slightly warmed.
Mince pies – did you know?
A jar of good-quality mincemeat is fine to make mince pies, but you can always make your own mincemeat.
Good places to find homemade mincemeat are local farm shops and the local Women’s Institute.