This batter recipe is for tempura batter. This recipe can be used in a wide range of other dishes, such as king prawns.
Ingredients – as required
- 50g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 150ml ice cold sparkling water
- 1 large egg
- pinch sea salt
- Separate the egg and save the yolk for another purpose. Whisk the egg white until light and frothy.
- Sift the flour, cornflour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Whisk in the ice cold water.
- Lightly fold in the whisked egg white very gently as we do not want to knock out any of the air in the whisked egg white.
- Add a pinch of salt to the batter to taste.