This cookery skill shows how to line a cake tin. Before making and baking cakes, it is advisable to line a cake tin with a layer or two of greaseproof paper. If using a loaf tin, you can use loaf tin liners that fit nicely. If making fairy cakes, iced buns or cupcakes, use paper cases that will fit into the bun tins.
- Grease the cake tin with a touch of butter.
- Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper on your work surface, place your tin on it and drawn around the base of the tin.
- Carefully cut out the shape drawn and neatly lay it in the base of the cake tin.
- To work out the length of greaseproof paper around the sides of the cake tin, use a piece of string to go round the outside of the tin and cut a length of greaseproof paper to the length of the string (allow a little extra for an overlap).
- Measure the height of the tin with a ruler and cut the greaseproof paper to that height (allow some extra to come up above the sides of the cake tin).
- Neatly line the sides of the cake tin with the greaseproof paper.
- Your cake tin is now ready to use.
If making a very large heavy cake, such as a fruit cake, it is a good idea to line the cake tin with a double thickness of greaseproof paper. This will help stop the bottom and sides of the cake from becoming overcooked before the middle is cooked. Now you have seen how to line a cake tin, you can go and bake fabulous cakes without fear of them getting stuck to the tin.
Where can I buy cake tin and loaf tin liners?
Many good cook stores on the high street will sell cake tin and loaf tin liners. You can also buy them online. Here are some suggested sites for you: Cake tin liners
Loaf tin liners
Recipes using this cooking skill
Now you have learnt how to line a cake tin, here are some recipes to try: