This cooking skill shows how to cook poached chicken. Many recipes will say you need cooked chicken. In such cases, poaching your chicken pieces will help to keep the chicken more moist, rather than roasting in the oven.
Cooking poached chicken
- Trim the chicken pieces, cutting away any excess fat. Season with a little sea salt and freshly milled black pepper.
- Pour enough chicken stock into a saucepan to cover the pieces when added. Bring to the boil and add the chicken pieces. Turn down the heat to a simmer and allow the chicken to gently poach, skimming if necessary.
- Use a temperature probe to check the chicken is cooked (this will take between 10 and 15 minutes, depending on the size).
- Remove the chicken and save the stock for further use. Refresh the chicken under cold running water to stop any further cooking.
- When it is cold, dry well on kitchen paper, place on a dish, cover and store in the fridge until required. Don’t forget to label and date to be extra safe. I wouldn’t keep cooked chicken for more than 2 days in a fridge.