Choux pastry – all you need for profiteroles!
This pastry recipe shows how to make a choux pastry. This choux pastry recipe can be used to make delicious recipes such as profiteroles.
Ingredients – as required | Preparation time 40 mins
- 150ml water
- 60g hard margarine
- 90g strong flour
- 3 medium eggs
- Sieve the flour into a clean bowl.
- Pour the water into a saucepan and add the margarine. Place on the hob over a medium heat and bring gently to the boil. Allow the margarine to melt in the water.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour. Keep stirring until the mixture leaves the sides of the saucepan cleanly. Leave on the heat for a few more moments as we need to cook the flour.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Break the eggs into a jug and beat.
- When your mixture in the saucepan is cool enough to touch, slowly beat in the beaten egg, again using a wooden spoon, making sure the egg is well incorporated into the mixture. Continue to add the egg until a nice smooth creamy paste is achieved.
- The choux pastry is now ready to use.
Pastry making tips
We have put together some great tips for making perfect pastry every time, which includes information on the type of flour used and how you need to give the pastry time to rest!
Other pastry recipes
If you have enjoyed this recipe for choux pastry, why not try these other great pastry recipes:
Recipes using choux pastry
You may like to try the following recipes that use choux pastry: