Onion gravy – simply delicious
This gravy recipe is for onion gravy and tastes great. This recipe for onion gravy can be made as thick as you like.
Ingredients – as required | Cooking time 30 mins
- 300g onions
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 200ml stock (beef or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sea salt / pepper
Mise en place
- Make the beef or vegetable stock.
- Peel and finely slice the white onions.
- Wash and dry the sprigs of thyme.
- Pour the oil into a heavy based saute pan or saucepan and heat over a low heat.
- Add the sliced onions and sprigs of thyme and allow to cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the onions are soft.
- Turn up the heat and continue cooking the onions until they begin to caramelise and turn dark in colour.
- Remove the sprigs of thyme.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Season your onion gravy to personal taste.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the onion gravy for 10-12 minutes.
If you want your onion gravy to be a bit thicker, mix a little cornflour with a touch of cold water to form a smooth paste and slowly add to your onion gravy until you reach your required consistency.
Stocks and sauces – Hints and tips
We have put together some essential hints and tips for preparing stocks and sauces, which includes information on seasoning and storage.
Other stocks and sauces to make
Here are some more stocks and sauces you may want to try:
Recipes using onion gravy
Here are some recipes using onion gravy: