Saffron cream sauce – uses the great taste of saffron
This cream sauce recipe is for a saffron cream sauce. If looking for recipes with saffron, this cream sauce recipe will be ideal.
Ingredients – as required | Cooking time 15 mins
- 200ml double cream
- 2 medium eggs
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 teaspoons water
- Sea salt / pepper
- Separate the eggs, saving the whites for another recipe.
- Place the saffron strands into a small saucepan and add 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for a while to allow the flavour and colour to infuse.
- When ready to use, reheat the saffron water and add the cream. Bring just to the boil constantly stirring. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks. Season to taste.
- Keep the saffron cream sauce warm in a bain marie until required. Don’t allow the saffron cream sauce to boil, as this may cause the egg yolks to cook further into a sort of scrambled egg and separate from the cream.
This saffron cream sauce is a very good sauce to use with pasta; indeed, it will help to make a very posh spaghetti carbonara.
Stocks and sauces – Hints and tips
We have put together some essential hints and tips for preparing stocks and sauces, which includes information on seasoning and storage.
Other stocks and sauces to make
Here are some more stocks and sauces you may want to try:
Recipes using saffron cream sauce
Here are some recipes using saffron cream sauce: