Vegetable stock – a versatile stock for many recipes
This stock recipe is for a vegetable stock. This vegetable stock recipe is easy to make and makes a versatile stock for many recipes.
Ingredients – as required | Preparation time 55 mins
- Approx. 150g onions
- Approx. 150g celery
- Approx. 150g white of leek
- Approx. 150g carrots
- Approx. 50g mushrooms, peelings and stalks
- 1¼ litres water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 8 parsley stalks
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 star of anise
Mise en place
- Make the bouquet garni.
- Peel the onions and cut the onions into about 2cm dice.
- Wash and peel the celery and cut the celery into 2cm dice.
- Wash and peel the leek and cut the leek into 2cm dice.
- Wash and peel the carrot and cut the carrot into 2cm dice.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and peel. Save the whole mushrooms for another dish.
- Put all the chopped vegetables and mushroom peelings into a large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water, add the bouquet garni and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, skimming if necessary. Season to taste.
- After about 40 minutes, remove from the heat and pass the stock through a fine strainer lined with muslin.
- Return the vegetable stock to a clean saucepan and put it back on a low heat and allow the vegetable stock to gently boil until reduced by about a third.
- Correct the seasoning.
Use your vegetable stock as required or allow to cool and freeze in small pots. Don’t forget to label and date the pots.
Stocks and sauces – Hints and tips
We have put together some essential hints and tips for preparing stocks and sauces, which includes information on seasoning and storage.
Other stocks and sauces to make
Here are some more stocks and sauces you may want to try:
Recipes using vegetable stock
Here are some recipes using vegetable stock: