Cooking with lemons – add some taste to your cooking!
This cooking skill is all about cooking with lemons, showing you how to cut lemons into wedges and how to obtain the zest of lemon. Cooking with lemons is a great way to add taste to any recipe.
Lemons – did you know?
Here are some interesting facts you may not have known about lemons (Wikipedia):
- The juice of the lemon is about 5% to 6% citric acid, which gives lemons a sour taste
- The origin of the lemon is a mystery, though it is thought that lemons first grew in Assam (a region in Northeast India)
- The lemon was later introduced to the Americas in 1493 when Christopher Columbus brought lemon seeds to Hispaniola on his voyages
- Lemon juice is also used as a short-term preservative on certain foods that tend to oxidize and turn brown after being sliced, such as apples, bananas and avocados
- The leaves of the lemon tree are used to make a tea and for preparing cooked meats and seafoods
Cooking with lemons – recipes
Now you have seen how to cut lemons into wedges and obtain the zest of lemon, here are some recipes that use lemons that will test out your knowledge of cooking with lemons.