This recipe for bakewell tarts is a great tart recipe to try at home. Also known as congress tarts, this congress / bakewell tart recipe makes around 14 tarts for you to enjoy.
Ingredients – 12 to 14 tarts
- Shortcrust pastry: 350g
- Raspberry jam: 2tbs
- Soft butter: 60g
- Caster sugar: 60g
- Egg (large): 1
- Ground almonds: 30g
- Self-raising flour: 30g
- Almond essence: few drops
- Flaked almonds: a few
Getting everything ready
- Make the shortcrust pastry and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a bun tin with a touch of butter.
- Break an egg into a small jug or cup and beat well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with a touch of flour and gently roll out the pastry until it’s nice and thin. Take a pastry cutter and cut out 8cm circles.
- Neatly line the bun tin with the circles of pastry. In the centre of each one, spoon in a small amount of jam. Place aside to rest while you make the filling.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a clean mixing bowl. Using a handheld electric whisk, cream together until light and fluffy and pale in colour. While still whisking, slowly add the beaten egg a little at a time. When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of almond essence for a little extra flavour. Remove the whisk.
- Sieve the flour and ground almonds into the mixture in the bowl and fold in using a metal spoon or spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tart cases (about 1 well-heaped teaspoon in each, ensuring the jam is covered).
- Sprinkle a few flaked almonds on the top of each congress / bakewell tart.
- Place the congress / bakewell tarts in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes until the tarts are just firm to touch and the pastry is a light golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the congress / bakewell tarts from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then transfer the congress tarts on to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.