This banana cupcakes recipe shows how to make banana cupcakes. The bananas on top are made from marzipan and the cupcake mixture contains a small amount of diced banana. The marzipan bananas on the top are almost too nice to eat!
Ingredients – 6/8 cupcakes
- 75g basic cupcake mix
- 60 chopped banana
- Marzipan – enough to make 16 bananas and a circle on each cupcake
- Green edible food dust
- Brown food colouring
- Pale yellow banana flavour buttercream
- Ready to roll icing (white)
- Icing sugar to dust
Getting everything ready
- Take a small piece of marzipan and mould it into a simple banana shape – if you find it a bit sticky, use a small amount of icing sugar on your fingers.
- Take a small amount of green edible dusting powder and use a small paint brush to brush a small amount on the tips of your bananas.
- Use a small paint brush to carefully paint lines of brown food colouring along the edges of the bananas. The bananas will keep for several days in a tin.
- Make a pale yellow banana flavoured buttercream.
- Make the basic cupcake mix and add a small amount of diced banana – use a small firm banana and gently fold it into the mixture after the flour has been added. Bake and allow to cool.
- Place a small touch of buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Lightly dust your work surface and small rolling pin with some icing sugar.
- Roll out the marzipan quite thinly. Use a plain pastry cutter to cut out circles of marzipan slightly smaller than the top of the cupcake.
- Place the marzipan circles onto the cupcakes.
- Place another small touch of buttercream onto the marzipan and do the same with the ready to roll icing.
- Place the marzipan bananas in the centre of the banana cupcakes.
- Fill a small paper piping bag fitted with a small plain tube with the banana flavoured buttercream and pipe dots of buttercream around the edges of the banana cupcakes.