This banana cupcakes recipe shows how to make banana cupcakes. The bananas on top are made from marzipan and the cupcake mixture contains a small amount of diced banana. The marzipan bananas on the top are almost too nice to eat!
Ingredients – 6/8 cupcakes
- 75g basic cupcake mix
- 60 chopped banana
- Marzipan – enough to make 16 bananas and a circle on each cupcake
- Green edible food dust
- Brown food colouring
- Pale yellow banana flavour buttercream
- Ready to roll icing (white)
- Icing sugar to dust
Getting everything ready
- Take a small piece of marzipan and mould it into a simple banana shape – if you find it a bit sticky, use a small amount of icing sugar on your fingers.
- Take a small amount of green edible dusting powder and use a small paint brush to brush a small amount on the tips of your bananas.
- Use a small paint brush to carefully paint lines of brown food colouring along the edges of the bananas. The bananas will keep for several days in a tin.
- Make a pale yellow banana flavoured buttercream.
- Make the basic cupcake mix and add a small amount of diced banana – use a small firm banana and gently fold it into the mixture after the flour has been added. Bake and allow to cool.
- Place a small touch of buttercream onto each cupcake.
- Lightly dust your work surface and small rolling pin with some icing sugar.
- Roll out the marzipan quite thinly. Use a plain pastry cutter to cut out circles of marzipan slightly smaller than the top of the cupcake.
- Place the marzipan circles onto the cupcakes.
- Place another small touch of buttercream onto the marzipan and do the same with the ready to roll icing.
- Place the marzipan bananas in the centre of the banana cupcakes.
- Fill a small paper piping bag fitted with a small plain tube with the banana flavoured buttercream and pipe dots of buttercream around the edges of the banana cupcakes.
Watch these banana cupcakes being made
Delicious cupcake recipes
This cupcake reflects the four seasons of the year in terms of the buttercream icing colours used.
Royal icing decorations for cupcakes
This cupcake recipe shows how you can use royal icing decorations for cupcakes. Using royal icing decorations for cupcakes makes great looking cupcakes.
Chocolate and honeycomb cupcakes
The cupcake recipe is for a chocolate and honeycomb cupcakes. If looking for a chocolate cupcake recipe, this cupcake uses honeycomb for a great taste.
Meringue mushroom cupcake
This recipe shows how to make cupcakes decorated with meringue mushrooms that look too good to eat!
This iced cupcake shows how the icing can be painted to create a stunning looking cupcake that would not be out of place in a gallery.
This strawberry cupcakes recipe is for a cupcake decorated with strawberries and cream, celebrating the famous tennis tournament at Wimbledon.
These chocolate and mint cupcakes have a hint of the refreshing taste of mint, look great and are easy to make.
Chocolate truffle cupcakes
This recipe is for a chocolate truffle cupcake. This chocolate recipe creates delicious chocolate truffles for a cupcake.