This cake recipe makes fairy cakes. You can choose the cake decorations of your choice. Here the fairy cakes are decorated with icing, cherries and buttercream.
Ingredients – 12 to 15 cakes
- 135g self-raising flour
- 120g caster sugar
- 120g soft margarine
- 2 eggs (large)
- Vanilla extract (few drops)
- Water icing (optional)
- Decorations (optional)
Getting everything ready
- Line your bun tin with paper bun cases.
- Make the water icing, cover with cling film and save till later.
- Break the eggs into a clean jug and beat well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Place the soft margarine and caster sugar into a large clean mixing bowl.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk together until light and fluffy and pale in colour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Whisk at a high speed and gradually add the beaten eggs a little at a time.
- When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of vanilla extract for flavour.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl and fold in using a large metal spoon or spatula.
- Divide your mixture between the paper bun cases, filling them to about ¾ full.
- Place in the centre of your pre-heated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until the cakes are well risen, light golden brown and slightly firm to touch.
- Remove the fairy cakes from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- When completely cold, spread a little water icing over the centre of each cake – you could use a spoon or small knife for this but you may find a small paper piping bag is more user-friendly. You can use different colours of icing.
Fairy cakes – hints and tips on decorating
Decorate your fairy cakes as you wish.
If you are going to sprinkle 100s and 1000s, do this before the water icing sets.
You could use a few witches or ghostly faces for Halloween as cake decorations.
You could of course your cakes plain with no cake decoration.
To create butterfly cakes, slice off the top of the bun and then cut the tops in half. Pipe some buttercream on top and add the pieces of bun to form wings.
Cake baking tips
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.